Friday, February 4, 2011

Random Lists - Installment One

I'm trying to get my creative writing juices flowing before I begin writing Sunday school teacher training modules. So every morning that's a writing day, I’ve decided to write a short blog post. A way to flex the creative writing muscle I suppose!

So here is installment one in what I hope to be a series of comical and informative, if not random blog posts!

The Unexpected Benefits of Living in Rwanda

1. I’ve become a much more direct communicator. Because of communication gaps and difficulties, in a country that’s surprisingly non-direct, sometimes I have to communicate so directly, it’s almost painful for me. There’s no sugar coating anything or hoping that you can non-verbally or subtly communicate anything….you just sometimes have to say it like it is!

2. I’m much more assertive. I was once told years ago by the principal of the private school I worked at in Chicago that I needed to become more assertive. Well, check that one off the list. Here in Rwanda, I’ve become much more assertive. Maybe it’s the fact that I can say things to people that I know they won’t understand in English or the fact that sometimes I’m marginalized and disregarded as a woman, but either way, I’ve definitely become more assertive!

3. I’ve learned to do nothing. Years ago when I was going through counseling, working through a couple of spiritual issues, my Biblical counselor suggested that I was obsessed with performing and was unable to do nothing. He gave me an assignment for two weeks to do nothing for 15 minutes daily. That was so difficult back then! Now, not so much! Some evenings in Rwanda there’s nothing to do and quite honestly, it's easy to do next to nothing. I’ve definitely slowed down from the pace of full time business employee, part time graduate school student and part time employee at my church. Most times, it’s a welcomed slow down!

4. I have a fictitious husband! – Well, I’ve never actually outright lied on this one, but I’ve begun wearing a wedding band that causes many to think that I have a husband. It cuts down on the perfect strangers asking me numerous questions about my marital status that I just get tired of answering.

1. A great farmer’s tan – I had such a noticeable farmer’s tan that I can look at the family shot of my brother’s wedding from this summer and SEE my tan lines!

2. Longer hair than I’ve had in five years – It’s next to impossible to get a good haircut here, so my hair is longer now than it’s been in many years! Looking forward to donating it to Locks of Love when I come home for a visit this fall.

1. Strengthened Relationships Back Home – Raising support and attempting to be a good communicator on the mission field has actually strengthened a lot of my relationships at home. I’ve reconnected with people that I’ve lost touch with and have been so encouraged by how many people at home are praying for me and seek to encourage me. It’s such a blessing!

2. Increased Thankfulness – I went to primary and secondary school and even got the opportunity to graduate from University. Though money was sometimes tight for my family, we never missed a meal and I always had clothes to wear and shoes to put on my feet. So many people that I meet here don’t have access to these simple blessings and necessities. It’s made me much more thankful for everything that God has blessed me with.

A


No comments: