Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Name is Miss Jacobsen Again!

The biggest change in my life lately (besides deciding to go to Rwanda) has been the decision to return to teaching. In late February I accepted a new job at the Geneva School in Manhattan to teach fourth grade. This was a big change for me since I haven't formally taught in five years; though I've taught ESL, Sunday School and done curriculum development in that time.

The Geneva School is a classical Christian school in midtown Manhattan. It's a great school - academically rigorous yet a small welcoming atmosphere. I have ten students in my class who are all bright, precocious and talkative! I have to say, I'm loving it!

The transition from a desk job back into the world of teaching has been challenging yet rewarding. Since I'm going to Rwanda to do curriculum development this is a great opportunity for me to transition back into the world of formal education. As always, I'm enjoying the lesson planning and curriculum development aspect the most. There's nothing I enjoy more than finding creative ways for children to learn!

With that passion in mind I'm especially excited that curriculum development is going to be my job and my ministry in Rwanda. I can't think of anything I'd rather do then find creative ways for Rwandan children to learn the truths of the Gospel!

No comments: